Skip to main content

Chatham University Faculty Manuals

 Collection
Identifier: 2019.004

Scope and Contents

This collection is compiled of manuals regarding basic faculty obligations and information, faculty advising manuals, revised faculty manuals, and testing administration manuals. The materials span from 1947 to 2004.

Dates

  • Created: 1947-2004

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions on access. The records are open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s). http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/

Biographical or Historical Information

Chartered on December 11, 1869 by the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County, the Pennsylvania Female College was initiated by Reverend William Trimble Beatty and several members of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church with the intention of providing “for young ladies what colleges of the first class accomplish for young men.” The campus was situated in the affluent Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in a building that held the previous distinction of being the largest private residence in Allegheny County.  A Board of Trustees which included Rev. Beatty and several members of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church, led the selection of college administrators and the development of college curriculum aiming to “furnish [students] the means of a thorough, well-proportioned and liberal education adapted to their wants in life.” In 1890 the name of the institution was changed to Pennsylvania College for Women, and in 1955 the name was changed again to Chatham College in honor of William Pitt, First Earl of Chatham and namesake of the City of Pittsburgh. In 1994, Chatham College expanded around its historic undergraduate women’s college by beginning to offer graduate programs to both men and women with a special emphasis in the health science fields.  University status was granted in 2007 and the institution is thereafter named Chatham University.  Additional campus locations, including one in the East Liberty neighborhood called East Side and one in Gibsonia called Eden Hall Farm, were added in 2008. In 2014, Chatham University’s Board of Trustees approved a resolution to implement coeducation within all colleges and schools while creating structures and programs that preserve the University’s commitment to women’s education and leadership.

Note written by Molly Tighe

Extent

2.00 records_center_boxes

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement Note

The Faculty Manuals Collection is grouped by subject of materials, then the folders are ordered by date the material was created. The first series contains all of the basic faculty manuals and any revisions to such manuals. Series II contain student advising information for the faculty while Series III contains student testing information to guide the professors. The next two Series are materials from 1991, detailing ideas to improve the school and programs for Chatham’s future. Lastly, Series VI contains memos and correspondence from faculty about wanted changes to the manuals. Series I: Basic Faculty Manuals and Revisions, 1947-2001 These manuals lay out the rules and regulations for faculty. Series II: Faculty Advising Information, 1969-2004 These manuals state the rules and the criteria for faculty members who had the responsibilities of advising students. Series III: Faculty Manuals on Test Administration, 1950-1954 These manuals contain information regarding testing at the school. Series IV: Faculty Materials for Chatham College Assembly, 1991 There are five manuals that discuss different ideas to improve the school. Series V: Faculty Planning for Chatham’s Future, 1991 This manual discusses what ideals and programs Chatham wanted to obtain. Series VI: Faculty Manual Memos and Correspondence, 1985-1996 There are two folders worth of information that are composed of memos and correspondence regarding the faculty manuals. Mainly discussing the changes that should be made. The materials span from 1985 to 1996.

Related Materials

Chatham University Faculty Meeting Minutes Collection

Processing Information

Processed by Katherine Rafferty under supervision of Rachel Grove Rohrbaugh.

Title
Archon Finding Aid Title
Author
Emily Simons and Molly Tighe
Date
06/06/2019
Description rules
Other Unmapped
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Chatham University Archives Repository

Contact:
Woodland Road
Pittsburgh PA 15232 US
412-365-1212
412-365-1465 (Fax)