Chatham University Faculty Meeting Minutes
Scope and Contents
This collection documents meetings of the Chatham University faculty from 1900 until 2015. Consisting primarily of meeting minutes and agendas, both bound and unbound, the collection documents changes in staffing in all university departments, faculty compensation rates, college curriculum, scholarships and awards, campus initiatives—including student led initiatives—and events, collaborations with other organizations, secularization, and the activities of other campus committees. Minutes from sub-committees, including the Faculty Executive Committee, the Ad Hoc Faculty Curriculum Committee, and the Educational Policy Committee, are also represented in the collection from the late 1960s until the 1080s. One folder containing committee correspondence is also included. The collection does not contain documents after 2005.
- created: 1900-2005
- Other: Majority of material found in 1960-1990
- Chatham University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on access. The records are open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s). http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Biographical or Historical Information
Chartered on December 11, 1869 by the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County, the Pennsylvania Female College was initiated by Reverend William Trimble Beatty and several members of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church with the intention of providing “for young ladies what colleges of the first class accomplish for young men.” The campus was situated in the affluent Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in a building that held the previous distinction of being the largest private residence in Allegheny County. A Board of Trustees which included Rev. Beatty and several members of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church, led the selection of college administrators and the development of college curriculum aiming to “furnish [students] the means of a thorough, well-proportioned and liberal education adapted to their wants in life.”
In 1890 the name of the institution was changed to Pennsylvania College for Women, and in 1955 the name was changed again to Chatham College in honor of William Pitt, First Earl of Chatham and namesake of the City of Pittsburgh. In 1994, Chatham College expanded around its historic undergraduate women’s college by beginning to offer graduate programs to both men and women with a special emphasis in the health science fields. University status was granted in 2007 and the institution is thereafter named Chatham University. Additional campus locations, including one in the East Liberty neighborhood called East Side and one in Gibsonia called Eden Hall Farm, were added in 2008.
In 2014, Chatham University’s Board of Trustees approved a resolution to implement coeducation within all colleges and schools while creating structures and programs that preserve the University’s commitment to women’s education and leadership.
Note written by Molly Tighe
Language of Materials
The Faculty Meeting Minutes Collection is arranged chronologically by the date the materials were created. The majority of meeting minute documents were written in books or bound together. These bindings remain intact and preserve the order of the collection. The collection is comprised of one series. Series 1, Faculty Meeting Minutes, 1900 – 2005; Bulk Dates: 1960 – 1990s
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Emily Simons and Molly Tighe
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note